May 15th, 2003
Assisi, Italy, Public Library facts:
1. While the stacks are open, you can’t enter the Library unless you are buzzed in by the Librarian.
2. The Librarian doesn’t speak English (and this Librarian doesn’t speak Italian).
3. The ceilings of the multi-room facility are covered in highly decorative trim and fresco paintings.
4. You can expect a standard small/medium sized Library collection including children’s books.
5. You can’t take pictures in the Library even if it is empty of patrons. I imagine this rule might slide if you spoke some decent Italian.
6. Finally, there isn’t one computer in the whole place.